The Winter Park Garden Club (WPGC) was founded in 1922 to promote gardening and to beautify the City of Winter Park. One of the four charter members of the Florida Federation of Garden Clubs (FFGC), Winter Park Garden Club belongs to the National Garden Clubs Inc. and the Deep South Region. Being a garden club member brings you into the largest volunteer gardening organization in the world. Each level of the garden club is a not-for-profit educational organization which works to protect and conserve our natural resources, promote civic beautification, encourage the improvement of roadsides and parks, encourage the establishment of botanical gardens, arboreta, and horticultural centers, and assist deserving students through college scholarships in related science fields of study. Through FFGC, programs such as Wekiva Youth Camp and SEEK instill in our youth the love of gardening and respect for and protection of the environment.
The garden club first started work in Mead Garden in 1938, and in 1956 the City gave the club use of a lodge in the garden. Plans for a garden center were approved for the site in 1968. The members raised funds for the Center and in 1973 the Garden Center was dedicated.
The objective of the Winter Park Garden Club is to further the education of members and the public in the fields of gardening, horticulture, botany, landscape design, conservation of natural resources, civic beautification, public sanitation and nature studies.
We do this through monthly programs on these topics, field trips to related points of interest, workshops on horticulture and floral design, hands on gardening on the grounds around our Garden Center, fundraising activities to fund scholarships at the University of Central Florida and camperships to FFGC’s Wekiva Youth Camp, flower shows to highlight our horticultural and floral design skills. Along the way we promote friendships and share skills as we have fun with fellow gardeners.